Make a DIY Fire Pit this Weekend With One of These 61 Fire Pit Ideas
Does the need to sit around a fire outside go back to our days as cave-dwellers? Probably, but we have way better stuff to roast over the fire now, and beer to drink with it. Just like our pre-historic ancestors (except with access to hardware stores, and power tools, and computers), you can make your own DIY backyard fire ring with these tutorials on how to build a DIY fire pit.
If you’ve ever tried to make s’mores in the microwave, I don’t have to tell you that sometimes there’s no substitute for real fire. For safety reasons, a lot of areas require that fires be contained in structures (check your local laws), so if you want regular access to fresh s’mores, you might need a backyard fire pit. You can buy a pre-made one, or you can use these many tutorials for how to build a fire pit, and save yourself some serious cash.
DIY Fire Pit Ideas to Try This Weekend
1. Fire Pit from Concrete Tree Rings – This economical design is easy to put together, and you can take it with you if you move.
2. Stone Fire Pit – A beautiful stone fire pit design that would be appropriate for many house styles.
3. Fire Pit Table – This one requires some backyard metal-working skills, but there’s no time like the present to learn to weld, right?
4. Stone Fire Pit – Another beautiful version of a natural stone fire pit.
5. Two-Tone Fire Pit – This stylish DIY fire ring was made for the low, low price of ONLY $80!
6. Polished Concrete Fire Pit Table – Don’t have room for both a table and a fire ring? Combine the two with this DIY fire pit table.
7. Cinder Block Fire Pit – Use cinder blocks and cement mix to create an economical square stone fire pit.
8. Concrete Fire Pit – This sleek, modern DIY fire pit is entirely cast from concrete.
9. Fire Pit Coffee Table – Keep warm by burning a little bit of gas in this wood and concrete coffee table DIY fire pit.
Source: Dans de Lakehouse
10. Welded Fire Pit – This steel DIY fire pit is simple and modern.
11. Stone Fire Ring – This sturdy stone fire pit is another design built from stone retaining wall blocks.
12. Halloween Jack O’Lantern Fire Pit – Halloween is coming up sooner than you expect, and this unique pumpkin fire pit would be a cool way to decorate.
13. Steel Fire Pit – Another one that requires welding, but the results sure are stunning.
14. Afternoon Fire Pit – This simple stone fire pit can be built in an afternoon.
15. Fire Pit Table Top – Once you’ve built a fire pit, you might want to add a top so that you can use it as a table when it’s not hosting a fire.
More DIY Backyard Fire Pit Designs
Contributed by Capree Kimball
16. DIY Modern Concrete Fire Pit – Chris, Curbly’s own editor-in-chief, came up with this great DIY concrete fire pit design using about $40 in materials.
17. DIY Concrete and Stone Fire Pit – Inexpensive to make, and can be done in just one day!
18. DIY Concrete Fire Pit Bowl – A slightly different take on #16.
19. Modern DIY Steel Fire Pit – Got some welding skills?
20. DIY Block Fire Pit and Seating Area – You gotta sit on something around that fire!
21. DIY Concrete and Metal Fire Pit – This one doesn’t have step-by-step photos, but it’s good inspiration!
22. Modern Upcycled Washing Machine Drum Fire Pit – Can you believe this used to be a washing machine drum??
23. DIY Square Stone Fire Pit – A simple square DIY fire pit that can be built in an afternoon.
24. Sleek DIY Outdoor Fire Feature – If you want outdoor fire but don’t have a ton of space, consider making a personal fire feature like this one.
25. DIY Fire Pit and Conversation Area – How sweet is this little outdoor seating area?
26. DIY Upcycled Washing Machine Drum Fire Pit – Another washing machine drum fire pit, proving it can be done!
27. DIY Brick and Paver Fire Pit – How slick is this in-ground fire pit?
28. DIY Propane-Fueled Fire Pit – This one is a bit more intense, but if you’re interested in building a wood-free fire pit, this is the tutorial for you.
29. DIY Steel Fire Pit – Cool and compact.
30. Fire Pit in Four Steps – First time fire pit builder? Here’s how to make this one in four easy steps.
31. Skim-Coated Cinder Block Fire Pit – Would you have guessed that this fire pit was initially made out of cinder blocks? Learn how to skim-coat to create this clean look.
Share this roundup on Pinterest!
Now that you have lots of ideas for how to build a fire pit, are you ready to create your own DIY fire pit this weekend? This could be the summer of backyard s’mores and wiener roasts!
Have you ever made your own fire pit? What materials did you use? Share your DIY fire pit ideas and tips in the comments!
Eye Candy: 30 Outdoor Fire Pit Ideas that will Make You Jealous
Summer is just around the corner, which means it’s the perfect time to update your backyard for barbecues and outdoor get-togethers! If you need a little inspiration or just want to gawk at gorgeous backyards, these 30 outdoor fire pits and fireplaces will make you incredibly jealous.
1. This ultra cozy outdoor fireplace with layered textiles looks like a comfortable setting. [Photo: Mikkel Vang via Domino]
2. Krista Ewart’s beautifully tiled outdoor fireplace in LA is a dream. [Photo: Douglas Friedman via House Beautiful]
3. Peter Dunham’s white brick outdoor fireplace with couch seating embodies California. [Photo: Victoria Pearson/Sam Frost via My Domaine]
4. This is a beautifully simple outdoor area designed by Judy Kameon. [Photo: Melanie Acevedo via Domino]
Photo by Mike Sinclair via Dwell
5. A mid-century inspired sunken outdoor seating area will transport you back to the 60s. [Photo by Mike Sinclair via Dwell]
6. A cement fireplace adds an industrial element. [Photo: Better Homes & Gardens]
7. This transitional indoor-outdoor living space is incredibly inviting. [Photo: Dwell]
8. A portable fire pit makes it easy to update your outdoor space. [Photo: Better Homes & Gardens]
Photo: Patrick Cline for Hillary Thomas
9. This outdoor fire pit with large rocks adds texture to the space. [Photo: Patrick Cline for Hillary Thomas]
10. An ultra-modern outdoor fireplace designed by Andrea Cochran completes a cozy patio in San Francisco. [Photo: Marion Brenner via Houzz]
11 . A tile wall and stainless steel outdoor fire pit make a big statement. [Photo: Anthony Leavitt via Dwell]
12. Classic white fireplace with herringbone tiles are a beautiful centerpiece in the Bay Area. [Photo: Alyssa Rosenheck via Style Me Pretty]
13. Courtney Cox’s Malibu beach fireplace and seating area surrounded by glass looks incredible. [Photo: Simon Upton via Elle Decor]
14. Large bluestone tiles frame this modern fireplace. [Photo: Ikaria Living via HGTV]
15. This Moroccan tiled fireplace designed by Liz Strong in Los Angeles pops against white brick. [Photo: David Tsay via Coastal Living]
16. This outdoor seating area comes with mountain views. [Photo: Joe Fletcher via Luxe]
17. An outdoor brick fireplace with built-in firewood storage in Melbourne, Australia allows for a lot of seating. [Photo: Shannon McGrath via Gardenista]
18. This rustic outdoor living space gives off lots of cozy vibes. [Photo: Lindgren Landscape via HGTV]
19. A rooftop deck fireplace in upstate New York is the ultimate hang-out spot. [Photo: Melanie Acevedo via House Beautiful]
20. This outdoor entertaining space in Nashville makes the outside feel just like the inside. [Photo: Thistle Wood Farms]
21. Having a tabletop fire pit on the lakefront makes your patio the perfect place for a meal. [Photo: Geolette Hommas via Porch.com]
22. Make your own fire pit with tree stump seating. [Photo: Marion Brenner via Martha Stewart]
23. An Atlanta bright white fireplace is the center of a cozy seating area. [Photo: Pieter Estersohn via Architectural Digest]
24. This fireplace in Alabama is closed in by a screened-in porch for maximum comfort. [Photo: Brian Woodcock via Country Living]
25. Create your perfect outdoor space with a DIY modern fireplace. [Photo: Chris Loves Julia]
26. A thin brick fireplace is surrounded by bright accents. [Photo: Chip Wade via Martha Stewart]
27. Wood seating surrounds this outdoor fire pit in the countryside. [Photo: Eric Perry via DIY Network]
28. Sit around this beautiful fire pit with low bench seating. [Photo: Thomas J. Story via Sunset]
29. A stucco mission-style fireplace designed by Isabelle Dahlin adds tons of character. [Photo: Max Kim-Bee via Country Living]
30. This cozy three-sided fireplace keeps you warm no matter where you sit. [Photo: Midwest Living]
I hope this outdoor decor inspiration makes you curious to start a new project this season!
A DIY fire pit is just what your backyard needs this summer. Whether you want stone, cinder block, or one welded from metal, these ideas have you covered.