FREE DIY Sewing Gifts for a New Mom
Someone told me once that there are 4 new babies born into this world every second. I didn’t believe them. But then I hit my late 20’s and logged into Facebook to check my newsfeed and I was like “OMG THERE ARE 4 NEW BABIES BORN INTO THIS WORLD EVERY SECOND.”
You may have seen recently on my Instagram Stories that I do not know how to respond like a normal human being when babies are born. I kind of lose my mind (See below if you don’t believe me.)
But guess what? I hear that a lot of new moms… who actually have to take care of those babies and sustain them into adulthood… I hear they kind of lose their minds, too. I’ve been told that having a brand new baby is actually kind of a lot of work. So, it’s obvious that those moms deserve some good presents. And what’s the best present? One you made yourself, of course! So I present to you…
Sewing Gifts for a New Mom: Cuddly Quilts + Blankets
This free DIY pattern by yours truly is a short, sweet, 30-minute project you can whip up for a baby shower, trip to the hospital or even just a quick drop-in to check up on the new mom in your life. It looks and feels like you put a whole lot more time into it… even though you didn’t, really. But make sure it’s chock full of love to make up for it.
2. Pure + Simple Quilted Blanket I love Purl Soho’s minimalist style, and this pattern uses Quilted Double Gauze, which is so soft and cuddly you’re going to want to keep it for yourself. But don’t. Because it’s too small for you. Quilt it, bind it, and give it away to your favorite minimalist mom. (Momimalist? Nope. Too hard to say.)
3. Indian Summer Baby Quilt Here’s another free pattern from my stash! What can I say. I’m into quilting. You know that by now. This is a great gift for babes born at the end of the summer… or the beginning of autumn… or winter…or whenever. Babies get cold all the time, right? This quilt is made of simple squares, rectangles and half square triangles – giving it a complex look but still very doable for a beginner sewer. The new mom in your life will be incredibly impressed and appreciative to have such a beautiful and thoughtful homemade baby gift. If quilting is still a bit intimidating, check out the Quilting 101 tab for all the steps you need to know on how to make a quilt!
Sewing Gifts for a New Mom: Cool Kid Clothes
4. Baby Hat Did you forget you had a baby shower this weekend and need an easy-peasy pattern for a cute little hat? This free pattern has sizes from Preemie-12 Months, and it will give you the cutest afternoon of sewing you’ve ever had.
5. Baby Sunbonnet Bonnets are totally back, baby. Step aside, Laura Ingalls Wilder, we’re taking your style all the way to the 2010’s. This baby sunbonnet, also from Purl Soho, is the cutest addition to every single outfit. Plus, it keeps that baby’s lil peepers shaded and out of the sun!
6. Felt Flower Mobile This gorgeous mobile is seriously a work of art. I’m not even a baby, and I would lay on my back and stare at that thing for hours. Perfect for a flowery or outdoorsy themed nursery, or basically anyone who likes pretty things (which is everyone, duh.)
OK, I think I nee to binge make these rattles. You get a rattle and YOU get a rattle and YOU GET A RATTLE! Rattles for everyone! Well, at least Scrappy is getting one. Choose between a bunny, cat, or mouse and for a safe, soft, rockin’ rattle for the newest human in your life.
Embroidery needle and thread (my favorite thread for these kinds of projects is DMC Pearl Cotton #8 – I’m linking to the cheapest price and largest variety I’ve found online. For some reason there is a huge range in price.)
A small bell or rattle insert
Basic sewing supplies (see above for that list)
8. Hooded Baby Towel & Washcloth Set I’ve heard that being a responsible parent means hosing them down in the tub once in a while. This hooded towel and wash cloth pattern can make this process cuter and cuddlier and softer and warmer and drier… and easier? Is it hard? Someone fill me in.
Sewing Gifts for a New Mom: On the Go!
9. Stretchy Car Seat Cover This is a project I can really get behind because all you need is 1 yard of your favorite knit fabric (here’s a link to the blush fabric shown), sew a seam and Presto a la Festo! Wambitty BAM! Ka-powie! Violaaa and Ta-daaa! (I could keep going…) These stretchy car seat covers are so quick and easy you could show up at your next baby shower with one for every day of the week! (obvi people will think you’re totally crazy, but heeey! There are worse things than over crafting for the new cuddle bug in your life.)
10. Bunny Lovey Throw this little lovey into that car seat, cover it with a stretchy thingie and you’re ready to go! And you know what I’m loving most about this lovey? It’s sweet face is painted on! You could choose to embroider it or, as the tutorial proposes, grab a paint brush and dab away!
A list of the 10 best DIY sewing gifts for a new mom. This list includes projects for a range of skills, so don’t count yourself out!